Friday, August 21, 2009

When I Grow Up

Looking over my blog, I realized that I very flirtatiously said very little about "what I want to be when I grow up." Rest assured, cohort, I have nothing actually figured out. It was more a feeling inspired by my trip to Americans for the Arts: there do indeed exist organizations which simultaeneously require you to work in a cubicle AND build a working environment which is equal parts positive, friendly and driven. Melikes!

This arts education policy jazz is just so exciting! I mean, I'm impressed by the organization's ability to target in on decision-makers, and to follow-through with powerful advocacy -- for the arts!!! It resonates with me, circa 1991 (inner child), who was looking forward to high school for three reasons: the drama department, art class, and newspaper. Then Measure 13 happened, causing my district to adopt block scheduling, and as a result I couldn't take any of those classes, which were scheduled at the same time as all the college prep courses. Nowadays, my old school district doesn't even offer French anymore. It's criminal. What the hell else keeps you from doing pot and getting pregnant (simultaneously) in Gladstone, Oregon?

Career-wise, I'm in a unique position, as both an educator and an arts administrator; I know and care deeply about both fields. I love that there exist other professionals who are so competent and effective in their pursuit of implementing meaningful policy changes; policies which ripple and resonate and make a huge, often-taken-for-granted impact. The question is: do I feel that in a museum? As much as I love museums, are there any out there that have energy and impact -- not just pretty things, quiet offices and polite educational programs? Hmmm.

Arts + Education + Policy. I'd like to know more about it. I think that sounds pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment