Monday, July 27, 2009

The end of an era: My life in Foggy Butt

Oh my golly! Even though it's Monday, I'm excited for the forthcoming weekend. I'll be jumping off the SS GW Ghetto-Dorm and swimmin' on over to Capitol Hill. The Hill! In a quaint house full of its own bathroom / kitchen / laundry / garden!! On the downside, I'll no longer have the thrill of walking by the White House every day, and Georgetown will be hard to get to, and I'll probably have to start taking the Metro to get to work.

Wow, I'm a yuppie!

What else will I miss about this side of town? Proximity to the Kennedy Center, the Reflecting Pool, and jogging around duck shit / the Lincoln Memorial. I will not miss the dorm's basement 7-11, which does not sell any alcohol (discovered the hard way, and I'm still a little bitter, even though it actually makes sense). I might miss the speedy Internet connection, which may powerfully impact this blog's existence... However, I hereby pledge to spend one minute watching flatscreen DirectTV in my new mansion, like a proper adult, in order to make up for every two minutes that I have spent in a dorm room, blogging on a laptop, two feet from a sink. So shameful!

It must also be nearing the end of my second month in DC, which is incredibly surprising. I feel like I've been here for two years.

Today I visited the Exhibits Central offices, which are all the hella way out in Maryland. It was pretty cool to see all their gizmos -- my absolute favorite is the 3-D copier, which they described as having the capability to "print out 3-D objects" such as a scanned human skull (!). You simply scan the real, 3-D object, and then the machine spends about 12 hours building - level by minute level - a copy of that object, using this strange fine sand and a gluey mixture. Basically, it's a machine that can sculpt anything for you. They use it to create copies of objects that can subsequently be used in the museum, either for the public to touch, or as exhibit bling.
Otherwise, I finally heard the words "Illustrator" and "Photoshop" slung casually around, and for that I was grateful. It was a pretty informative field trip.

Tomorrow: The National Archives (and work, I actually do work, but field trips are also part of my work and the safe thing to talk about).

No comments:

Post a Comment